tetracycline n : an antibiotic (trade name Achromycin) derived from microorganisms of the genus Streptomyces and used broadly to treat infections [syn: Achromycin]
- This article deals with the specific antibiotic called tetracycline. For the group of antibiotics known as the tetracyclines, see tetracycline antibiotics.
Mode of action
- Inactivated by aluminium, iron and zinc, not to be taken at the same time as indigestion remedies
- Inactivated by common antacids and over-the-counter heartburn medicines.
- Skin photosensitivity; exposure to the Sun or intense light is not recommended
- Drug-induced lupus, and hepatitis
- When used for acne vulgaris, skin can be extremely dry and flaky if overused
- May interfere with methotrexate by displacing it from the various protein binding sites
It is also used to treat a very wide range of infections; see tetracycline antibiotics for details.
Other usesSince tetracycline is absorbed into bone, it is used as a marker of bone growth for biopsies in humans, and as a biomarker in wildlife to detect consumption of medicine- or vaccine-containing baits. The presence of tetracycline in bone is detected by its fluorescence.
In genetic engineering tetracycline is used in transcriptional activation. Tetracycline is also one of the antibiotics used to treat ulcers caused by bacterial infections. In cancer research at Harvard Medical School, tetracycline has been used to reliably cause regression of advanced stages of leukemia in mice, by putting this inexpensive antibiotic into their drinking water.http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2000/02.10/leukemia.html
tetracycline in Arabic: تتراسايكلن
tetracycline in Min Nan: Tetracycline
tetracycline in Czech: tetracyklin
tetracycline in German: Tetracyclin
tetracycline in Spanish: Tetraciclina
tetracycline in French: Tétracycline
tetracycline in Dutch: Tetracycline
tetracycline in Japanese: テトラサイクリン
tetracycline in Polish: Tetracyklina
tetracycline in Portuguese: Tetraciclina
tetracycline in Russian: Тетрациклин
tetracycline in Slovenian: Tetraciklin
tetracycline in Swedish: Tetracyklin
tetracycline in Thai: เตตร้าซัยคลิน
tetracycline in Turkish: Tetrasiklin
tetracycline in Chinese: 四環素